Make your own pre-columbian style whistling vessel!
Learn the process of building your own whistling vessel by hand with clay. Explore the depths of knowledge about whistling vessels, how they make sound, and the intricacies of making your own. Dive into the mixture of earth and water to build a vessel, learn about how fire transforms clay into pottery, and use air and water to make sounds with your vessel.
- This is an intensive workshop that lasts two days, starting Saturday and ending Sunday afternoon.
- Learn hand building techniques for making vessels
- Learn the process of creating the whistling mechanisms for each vessel
- Decorate your vessel once built.
- Presentations on history and culture around these vessels, and theories on how they were used in ancient pre-columbian cultures.
Each piece will require a week of drying time and be fired the following weekend. Feel free to take home and fire yourself, pick up at the end of the next weekend, or get the final piece shipped to you upon completion the following weekend (additional shipping fee required).
We have free camping available onsite, and tons of short term rentals (hotels, airbnb) nearby.
May 18th-19th, 2024
10am Sat until 2pm Sunday
- Arrive on Saturday morning by 10am.
- Saturday morning workshop starts at 10am, break for lunch at 1pm, and then end the workshop around 5pm. Potluck and fireside communion starts at 6pm.
- Sunday morning start to finish up your projects, final touches, and communal lunch, continue working if needed.